I use Google calendar already for my personal calendar and to see both public performance events for Indyprov and our separate private rehearsal schedule. (Sorry fanboys, no peekies.)
Next on my list was adding my work calendar in to the google calendar I'd created for myself. Google provides 3 options: 2-way, 1-way to Outlook and 1 way to Google. I opted for the 2 way; during the work day, I'm in the Outlook calendar exclusively. I also wanted to make my personal events private on my work calendar; I did want free/busy info to show, but not all the details of doctor's appointments and any other nefarious activities I may schedule. Note, the Google Calendar Sync only works with Outlook(TM) 2003 and 2007. Here's the instructions for syncing outlook to google calendar:
Facebook calendars can be added to Google calendar by URL too. Unfortunately, the event details aren't provided but at least the time is blocked off. I also eagerly anticipate some kind of sync solution for Yahoo Calendar integrating with Google calendar. Sadly, none seems to be available yet.
To set up Google Calendar Sync:
- Make sure you're using a supported operating system and Outlook version.
- Download Google Calendar Sync (version 0.9.3.5) at http://dl.google.com/googlecalendarsync/GoogleCalendarSync_Installer.exe
- Once a dialog box appears, click Save File. The downloaded file should open automatically. If it doesn't, manually open it from your browser's download window.
- Click OK to confirm that you're aware this is an executable file.
- Read through the Google Calendar Sync Terms of Service, and click I Agree.
- Follow through the Installation Options and click Install to finish the set-up process.
After all the setup, I end up with an integrated outlook-google calendar that shows kid(s), spouse, and organization schedules in one place.
Hopefully, in the future there will be an affordable wall mounted electronic calendar which can support family planning. In the meantime, I could holster an ipod touch on the fridge.